Dec. 22, 2017, DAYTON, Ohio — It’s a new year with new possibilities and a new set of First Fridays lined up for 2018! Art galleries, boutique shops, entertainment venues, restaurants, and more downtown businesses are kicking off their year with special activities on Friday, January 5. Get a fresh start by shopping local, dining local, and invest in the Dayton community.
For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.orgor use the location-based mobile site,mobile.downtowndayton.orgInvite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun! “Like” and share the First Friday Facebook page or the event page.
• Dayton Society of Artists, 48 High St.: Dayton Society of Artists will present the Jane Reece Invitational, an exhibition featuring work by fifteen women photographers who live and work in the Miami Valley. Stop by the First Friday opening reception, which is free and open to the public, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
• Edward A. Dixon Gallery, 12 S. Ludlow St.: The Edward A. Dixon Gallery will be open from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. for First Friday. Enjoy light refreshments while viewing local and international artwork, including pieces from the Philippines and Cuba. Original works and limited editions will be on display and available for purchase. Call 985-2115.
• The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: It’s time for another First Friday at Front Street! This event features over two dozen art studios and artists all in one location, including painters, sculptors, glass makers, and jewelry makers.
• K12 Gallery & TEJAS, 341 S Jefferson St.: Check out the premier of “Scrappy Cats” salvaged art supplies. K12 Gallery & TEJAS will transform their sales gallery into a salvaged art supply area where customers can purchase art supplies at a discounted rate with prices ranging from 10 cents to $5.00. The event opening takes place from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Cherry Lee and the Hotrod Hounds take to the stage! Take $1 off well drinks during happy hour from 4-8 p.m. Call 938-6405.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.: Celebrate Irish First Friday at the Dublin Pub with a Miami Valley Pipes & Drums performance at 7 p.m. and featuring Cleveland-based Marys Lane starting at 8:30 p.m. Call 224-7822.
• The Neon, 130 E. Fifth St.: Downtown’s independent movie house offers foreign and indie films, as well as mainstream movies and documentaries. Enjoy locally roasted Boston Stoker coffee, or a selection of craft beer, wine, and mixed drinks during the show. Call for current lineup and show times: 222-SHOW (7469).
• The Stage Door, 44 N. Jefferson St.: Sing your heart out at Friday Night Karaoke with DJ Alvarez! Karaoke and dance music requests starting at 10 p.m. Video games, pool, keno, lottery, and darts on tap, as well. Call 223-7418.
• THERAPY Cafe, 452 E. Third St.: THERAPY will host Insomniac Rarri and more starting at 9 p.m. Tickets cost $10.
• Third Perk Coffeehouse & Wine Bar, 46 W. Fifth St.: Head over for live music and drink specials. $5 cover. Call 223-7375 for more information.
• The Black Box Improv Theater, 518 E. Third St.: Womit 2.0 takes the stage every Friday night from 8 to 9 p.m. The show format may change but the performers do not! They may interview an audience member, discuss personal stories, or simply take a one-word suggestion to create an hour of fun. BYOB. Call for ticket prices and availability: 369-0747.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Dayton Chess Club hosts a quick tournament for U.S. Chess Federation members. Games are perfect for club chess players and those experienced with online chess games who would like to test their skill over the board. The club opens at 6:30 p.m. and registration ends at 7:25 p.m. The first of four games begins at 7:30. Visit daytonchessclub.com for more details. Call 461-6283.
• League of Women Voters, 127 N. Ludlow: The League of Women Voters is hosting a ribbon cutting and open house from 6 to 9 p.m. for their new office in the Talbot Tower at 127 North Ludlow. Appetizers and spirits will be served.
• Metroparks Ice Rink, 237 E. Monument Ave.: Lace up your skates and hit the rink this First Friday. Admission fee is $5
and skate rentals cost $2. The ice rink is open until 10 p.m. For rink status, call 278-2607.
• Schuster Center, 1 W. Second St.: The Playground Theatre Co., a company focused on connecting young adults to live theater, presents “The Tutors,” a performance about three friends who move to New York in search of their dream jobs only to find themselves saddled with being tutors to pay the bills. For show times and ticket prices, call 228-3630 or visit www.ticketcenterstage.com.
• Wiley’s Comedy Joint, 101 Pine St.: You won’t want to miss the fast-paced, quirky comedy of Pete George, who combines his comedic prowess with a passion for music delivered with spastic aplomb. Two-item minimum purchase. Call 224-5653 for more info.
Food and Drink
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Featuring happy hour from 4 to 8 p.m., $1 off well drinks. Check the boards for the special menu item of the day.
• Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: Enjoy $2-$3 tastings of select wines. Small plates available for purchase. Call 225-9463.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: $5 “Trolley hour” food specials from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
The Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website has a complete list of downtown’s arts and cultural amenities, as well as a dining guide, parking map and much more. Download the Find It Downtown mobile search tool for smartphones at http://mobile.downtowndayton.org.