AmeriCorps VISTA members will work full-time for one year to help Ohioans in need
The Ohio Association of Foodbanks is seeking applications from organizations throughout Ohio interested in hosting a year-long AmeriCorps VISTA member. AmeriCorps VISTA members will work full-time for one year to further a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. This capacity building resource can help organizations launching a new program, raise funds, recruit volunteers, develop new systems and processes and much more.
“Since 2006, the Ohio Association of Foodbanks has partnered with the Corporation for National and Community Service to deploy AmeriCorps VISTA members throughout the state to help feed and nurture low-income Ohioans,” said Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director for the Ohio Association of Foodbanks. “We are pleased to support other Ohio organizations reap the benefits of hosting an AmeriCorps VISTA member to further their missions.
Organizations that are first-time applicants to be a VISTA host site will need toon Tuesday, November 13, from 2:00-3:00 p.m. and the on Thursday, November 15, from 2:00-3:30 p.m. This workshop will give organizations valuable tips and insights about how to prepare a competitive VISTA host site application.
“More than 750,000 Americans across the country participate in AmeriCorps each year,” said Tina Dunphy, Ohio State Program Director, Corporation for National and Community Service. “Members commit their time to address critical community needs such as mentoring youth, fighting poverty, preparing for disasters and much more. We are excited to partner with the Ohio Association of Foodbanks to bring this special service to Ohio nonprofits in need of additional resources.”
Since 2006, the Ohio Association of Foodbanks has deployed more than 1,200 AmeriCorps VISTA members to fight poverty in local communities. Among the key accomplishments include the following:
- Established 121 new systems and processes for serving food insecure clients in State Fiscal Year 2018 alone, which provided 16,330 clients with referrals for help with food or nutrition education.
- Raised more than $4.15 million in cash and in-kind donations to build the capacity of host sites and communities since 2006.
- Recruited 38,985 volunteers who have dedicated 339,454 hours of volunteer service to local nonprofits since inception.
To apply to host an AmeriCorps VISTA member, an organization should take the following steps:
- Review the , which includes instructions about how to complete an application.
- Complete the and submit it by email to Maureen Allen at email@example.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2018.
For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA, visit.